[Xapian-discuss] Relevance feedback

Richard Boulton richard at tartarus.org
Wed Nov 2 11:10:59 GMT 2011

On 2 November 2011 09:50, Justin Finkelstein <justin at redwiredesign.com> wrote:
> Over the weekend, we were chatting about recording searches and feeding
> that back into Xapian to improve results accuracy and I'm wondering how
> this works.

> Also, I've noticed on the Features page on xapian.org, there's mention
> of getting related documents out; is there any documentation (either in
> the API or otherwise) that describes this?

I'm not sure there is any documentation of how to do this: roughly,
what you do to find similar documents to a set of documents (or a
single document) is:

 - build an RSet with the ids of the documents you're starting with.
 - build an ESet from that (with enquire.get_eset())
 - use that ESet in a query (joined with OP_OR); the top few documents
of the results of that should be similar to your starting documents.

There's lots of subtleties, and ways to tune it, though; I think this
would be a good "how to" document to write in the second part of the
sprint this weekend.

--
Richard