[Xapian-discuss] slow first query

james cauwelier james.cauwelier at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 07:27:20 GMT 2011

Hi!

I 'v got a database with around 7 000 000 products.  Running a query
for the first time gives pretty slow results, e.g. 6 seconds for
searching 'Harry Potter' (normal search, no phrase).  Running the
exact same query returns in like 24ms or so.

I have read this to be because of the disk reading the first time and
that for the second query results are in RAM cache?
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.search.xapian.general/8569

Is there no way to speed up the initial query?  What is cached, search
results or some part of the index?  Is there a way to have a hot cache
at all times for generic queries as opposed to very specific queries?
Is the index not written to RAM cache upon indexing?  If it is, adding
more RAM would be sufficient then?

Thanks in advance for any answer