[Xapian-discuss] Database `default' couldn't be opened

Dhilip S dhilip.jec at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 07:24:42 BST 2011

Hello.,

I configured Xapain in local machine (ubuntu 11.04). The configurations
which i did are as follows

Xapian Installation -

1) Xapian-core-1.2.7
- tar xvzf xapian-core-1.2.7.tar.gz
- cd xapian-core-1.2.7
- ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
- make
- make install

2) Xapian-binding-1.2.7
- tar xvzf xapian-binding-1.2.7.tar.gz
- cd xapian-binding-1.2.7
- ./configure --prefix=/usr/local XAPIAN_CONFIG=/usr/local/bin/xapian-config
- make
- make install

3) Xapian-omege-1.2.7
- tar xvzf xapian-omega-1.2.7.tar.gz
- cd xapian-omega-1.2.7
- ./configure XAPIAN_CONFIG=/usr/local/bin/xapian-config
- make
- make check
- make install

After completed the above steps

cd omega-1.2.7
cp omega /usr/lib/cgi-bin/omega.cgi
cp omega.conf /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
chmod 755 /usr/lib/cgi-bin/omega.cgi

Edit the file (omega.conf) in "/usr/lib/cgi-bin/omega.conf"

database_dir /var/lib/omega/data
template_dir /var/lib/omega/templates
log_dir /var/log/omega
cdb_dir /var/lib/omega/cdb

you'll have to create the missing directories

mkdir -p /var/lib/omega/data
mkdir /var/lib/omega/templates
mkdir /var/lib/omega/cdb
mkdir /var/log/omega

And copy the templates to new directory.

cd omega-1.2.7
cp templates/* /var/lib/omega/templates

Creating Local Index

omindex --db /var/lib/omega/data/ --url /book /var/www/book

After indexing the local path, i get output in terminal search,
But in browser it got Error Msg ""Database 'default' couldn't be opened""

Sites which i followed for reference

1) http://xapian.org/docs/install.html
2) http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/OmegaExample

While i'm trying in my terminal with simple search it works well. I changed
file permission from 644 to 755 after that also i'm getting the same error.
--
     Dhilip.S