[Xapian-discuss] patch proposal: omindex library or daemon

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sun Oct 23 19:40:17 BST 2011

On 17 Oct 2011, at 22:25, Liam wrote:

> For apps which re/index files frequently and need format conversion, I'd
> like to propose a patch for one of...
>
> Omindex library (thread safe)
> Omindex daemon mode

Omindex doesn't do a huge amount; there's a fairly simple system for figuring out which external helper to use for a given file (which is mostly libmagic and a MIME type to helper map), and there's some infrastructure for defending against runaway helpers which would probably want to be more flexible or even totally different in a library context, and wouldn't even be quite the same in a daemon context. The rest is a directory tree walker, a couple of internal handlers, and a pretty small amount of code that directly interfaces with Xapian.

I guess I'm not entirely sure which bits of omindex you think are most valuable to pull into other systems. Given the niche use of it, if this was interesting I'd probably support a refactor and intermediate build step that generates a library used to create omindex, rather than installing another dynamic library for all users who won't need this. That would enable you to reuse bits of omindex as needed.

> SWIG & Node.js bindings

Certainly we'd been happy to see work done to make Xapian available to Node users — that would be awesome. I know very little about Node & V8, but I assume we'd be looking at object & function templates in V8 to gain access to Xapian, and then some Node helpers to make it easier for developers to use in an idiomatic fashion?

 James Aylett
 talktorex.co.uk - xapian.org - devfort.com - spacelog.org