[Xapian-discuss] patch proposal: omindex library or daemon

Liam xapian at networkimprov.net
Mon Oct 24 01:11:17 BST 2011

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 4:32 PM, James Aylett <james-xapian at tartarus.org>wrote:

> omindex…I
> >> guess I'm just not seeing the omindex code here as significant as you
> are
> >> :-)
> >
> > Well the converter logic and mime map is >1000 LOC. That's significant
> > enough to libify, n'est ce pas?
>
> I'm not convinced, simply because in most languages other than C++ it's a
> lot less :-)

Having just scanned that code, it doesn't seem that way to me. But 100 lines
of proven, generally-useful code is enough for a library.

I need this from a Node app, and rewriting it in Javascript would be a lot
of busy-work for no gain. Surfacing in JS all the components it delegates to
would require a LOT of glue code!

Xapian is a library. It's surprising that its mechanism to index diverse
file types isn't in a library.