[Xapian-discuss] patch proposal: omindex library or daemon

Liam xapian at networkimprov.net
Mon Oct 24 06:31:13 BST 2011

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 9:39 PM, James Aylett <james-xapian at tartarus.org>wrote:

> On 23 Oct 2011, at 17:11, Liam wrote:
>
> > Xapian is a library. It's surprising that its mechanism to index diverse
> > file types isn't in a library.
>
> Yes, but omega isn't a library — it's an app built on top of the library,
> so we haven't historically thought of it as having distinct pieces that are
> obviously re-usable. However they do come up, and as I say making it
> possible for you to re-use in this way shouldn't be too difficult if you
> wanted to introduce an interim static library.

Whew, I thought you were going to keep playing devil's advocate :-)

Statically linking a lib into a Node.js module should work fine.

So we need to define the header file for this library... Would a subclass of
WritableDatabase make sense? I like the fact that omindex both converts a
file and inserts its text.

I would want to pass arbitrary document meta-data (incl doc type) as well as
the file pathname, and also the options which omindex allows on the command
line.