[Xapian-discuss] Ranking and term proximity

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Tue Sep 6 16:51:47 BST 2011

On 6 Sep 2011, at 12:35, goran kent wrote:

>> Crikey, NEAR should be implicit with a general-purpose search engine,
>> IMHO.  However, I confess, I wasn't even aware of NEAR, so I'll be
>> doing some digg'n.
>
> In fact, there should be a flag to default all searches to NEAR (if
> there *is*, forgive my ignorance).

NEAR queries are similar to PHRASE, in that they match or not based on term occurrence within a window (where PHRASE is in-order within a window, and the window defaults to the number of terms). What you're looking for is instead OP_OR but with a higher contributory weighting based on proximity of terms (and possibly some sort of ordering); right now Xapian doesn't support this.

 James Aylett
 talktorex.co.uk - xapian.org - devfort.com