[Xapian-discuss] understanding stemming and synonyms

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Mon Sep 26 10:50:50 BST 2011

[Back on list]

On 26 Sep 2011, at 09:26, Websuche :: Felix Antonius Wilhelm Ostmann wrote:

>>> That looks fine, but when i now use the query_parser with stemmer (german2 & STEM_ALL) and parse_query (FLAG_AUTO_SYNONYMS), i get this queries.
>>
>> Try STEM_SOME.
>>
>> I've poked around a little, and I think we're lacking a clear introduction to the QueryParser, since IIRC this question comes up semi-frequently. I've added a note to MissingDocument; if I'm in error and there is something, feel free to delete it.
>
> http://xapian.org/docs/sourcedoc/html/classXapian_1_1QueryParser.html#389713b3969cac6cd98da5fb970f2f8e
>
> And it is well documented ... my bad! I think i was at missleaded by a
> bad howto-website for xapian :-/

It's documented, but I think my concerns stand. (You have to think to realise it's generally the right choice, and I think from the point of view of getting started thinking is a bad requirement :-)

There are unfortunately a bunch of howtos for Xapian floating round the internet that are now out of date :-(

 James Aylett
 talktorex.co.uk - xapian.org - devfort.com