[Xapian-discuss] multiple database search performance

Alain Denzler alaindenzler at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 09:32:58 BST 2012

Hello

I'm developing a search system for our file servers, and as a basic way
to handle file permissions, I decided to split things up in multiple
index databases. This seemed to be the easiest and cleanest way to do it.

I implemented it and always tested it with smaller indexes (smaller than
1000 docs per index) and everything went fine and search performance
over multiple databases was great.

But now I indexed a larger part of the filesystem in one index, which
grew to over 6000 documents. Searching only this index is still fast as
hell. But doing a combined search with only one other database makes
searching a real pain. Most of the queries I tested took about 15
seconds to finish, with some queries taking 30 seconds and even longer.
Of course I expected it to be a bit slower, but by just adding those 100
docs from another database into the search, searching becomes way too
slow to work with it.

I wonder if there's a way I can improve search performance over multiple
databases? Has anyone dealt with this issue before? Or have I made a
wrong architectural choice in the beginning?

Thanks in Advance,
Alain