[Xapian-discuss] multiple database search performance

Richard Boulton richard at tartarus.org
Wed Aug 15 15:34:45 BST 2012

On 15 August 2012 14:04, Alain Denzler <alaindenzler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your reply.
> I am using xapian 1.2.10 on a ubuntu server machine with php bindings. All
> the databases are locally saved.
>
> I did some time measurements and have tracked down the slow search to the
> line
>
>     $matches = $enquire->get_mset($offset, 10);

Well, that's the call that does all the work, so not terribly
surprising, but good to confirm.

> which is the just the basic search. Altough the rest of the code might not
> be written in the most effective way, this is the line which takes really
> long to execute. So this should be either with xapian or the php bindings?
> Or can it be a corrupted database? If yes, searching only the corrupted
> database should be slow to, i think?

I can't think of any reason why a corrupted database would be slow to
search; I would expect a failure, not a delay.

How big are the databases?   How much memory on the machine?  If the
documents are _really_ huge, I suppose there could be some swap
thrashing going on, but this seems exceptionally unlikely with two
databases (of 6000 and 100 documents).

Pastes of "ls -l" run in the database directories would be interesting.