[Xapian-discuss] Want to contribute code to the Xapian project

Charlie Hull charlie at juggler.net
Mon Dec 10 20:29:09 GMT 2012

On 10/12/2012 18:02, Kevin Duraj wrote:
> You still need to go to school, and you will know when you ready, when you will teach us how to make search engines.
>
> Kevin Duraj
> http://myhealthcare.com/

I've no idea what Kevin is talking about but I do know that anyone
wanting to contribute to Xapian is welcome: for example Xapian has been
involved several times with the Google Summer of Code. As someone else
has already mentioned the list of projects from this is one place to
start, as is http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/HelpWanted . The main devs sit
on the #xapian channel on IRC so you might start by joining that and
saying hello (there's another channel and email list for
development-related stuff which they can tell you about).

Regarding IR, the classic book is Managing Gigabytes
http://ww2.cs.mu.oz.au/mg/ but there are plenty more: here's a good list
http://www.intranetfocus.com/enterprise-search/books-and-reports
covering most aspects of enterprise search including some on IR.

Do ask if there's anything else we can do to help you contribute!

Cheers

Charlie