[Xapian-discuss] GSoC 2012

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Feb 20 20:27:35 GMT 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 10:07:09AM +0000, Justin Finkelstein wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-02-19 at 21:04 +0000, Olly Betts wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 10:29:29AM +0000, Justin Finkelstein wrote:
> > >     2. A web service front-end, handling queries via GET, CRUD
> > > operations via POST containing XML
> >
> > Isn't (2) essentially what Richard's restpose (http://restpose.org/)
> > aims to do, except it's JSON not XML (which seems to be the modern
> > trend)?
>
> It certainly looks like it; I'm surprised I haven't seen this before -
> may I suggest a link to it from xapian.org?

Richard is able to edit the website, so can just add one if/when he
thinks it is appropriate to publicise more widely.

> > These seem like projects on top of Xapian to me, and that seems a
> > sensible separation (like how solr is a web services layer on top of
> > lucene).
>
> Absolutely. So we're looking for core Xapian projects.

Well, no - core projects are certainly acceptable, but projects working
on things built on Xapian are also in scope.  But if the project is
essentially starting something entirely new, then I think we need to
carefully consider its viability after the Summer.  If a student works
on a project adding something to an existing codebase which already has
people maintaining and developing it, then the student not staying
involved isn't such an issue.