[Xapian-discuss] Problem with running xapian-bindings (php) on Fedora 16 and 17

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Jun 22 12:14:09 BST 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 10:56:31AM +0200, Rafa? Jaros wrote:
> So is there some way, fix, patch that will help me run xapian php plugin on
> upgraded to Fedora 17 servers?

It's a bug in PHP, or perhaps the compiler toolchain -
zend_error_noreturn() is prototyped with attribute noreturn, but then
symbol aliased to zend_error(), but this doesn't actually work properly
in some cases for some reason.

You can work around this when you build xapian-bindings - just run make
like so:

make CPPFLAGS=-DSWIG_ZEND_ERROR_NORETURN=zend_error

You'll probably get a few warnings about "no return statement in
function returning non-void", or something like that, but you can just
ignore those.

> Why package that is in default Fedora
> repository doesn't work? (I use only default Fedora repositories).

Hmm, does Fedora ship binary packages of Xapian's PHP bindings?  I
thought it was Fedora who originally raised the issue that the GPL vs
PHP licence conflict meant that you can't ship binary packages.