[Xapian-discuss] xapian-replicate errors

Denis Brækhus denis at startsiden.no
Wed Nov 14 15:25:34 GMT 2012

Hi,

While trying to setup xapian replication (initially for backup
purposes), I'm encountering some errors.

Our "fresh" index starts replication, and ends up with an index size
that matches the replication master (4.5GB), but then throws :

"Getting update for fresh from fresh
xapian-replicate: NetworkError: Unable to fully synchronise: Database
changing too fast"

I tried running xapian-replicate in both one-shot and continous modes,
but that didn't change anything.

For our larger but not that frequently modified index I instead get this
error :

"Getting update for index from index
xapian-replicate: NetworkError: Insane message length specified!"

The replica set never gets close to the master index size in this case
(Master is 63GB, largest I've seen the replica get to was around 30GB).

What can be the cause of the insane message length?

This is on Debian Wheezy and the versions we're running are:
ii  libsearch-xapian-perl 1.2.10.0-1
ii  libxapian22 1.2.12-1
ii  xapian-tools 1.2.12-1

Any clues? I did try to google the messages extensively, and tried
searching Gmane archives, but I might have missed out on relevant
threads. If so I am sorry.

Best Regards
--
Denis Braekhus