[Xapian-discuss] xapian-replicate errors

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Nov 14 21:36:02 GMT 2012

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 04:54:47PM +0100, Denis Brækhus wrote:
> On 11/14/2012 04:25 PM, Denis Brækhus wrote:
>> While trying to setup xapian replication (initially for backup
>> purposes), I'm encountering some errors.
>>
>> Our "fresh" index starts replication, and ends up with an index size
>> that matches the replication master (4.5GB), but then throws :
>>
>> "Getting update for fresh from fresh
>> xapian-replicate: NetworkError: Unable to fully synchronise: Database
>> changing too fast"
>
> Sorry about this, some more googling points me toward not having setup
> our indexer with changesets.

That will mean it tries to do a full copy every time.  There should
probably be a warning if that happens, as you wouldn't deliberately
try to replicate without changesets.

>> "Getting update for index from index
>> xapian-replicate: NetworkError: Insane message length specified!"
>
> This however I am still stumped by..

This either means that the message length actually is insanely large
(close to 32 bits for an "in-core" messages, or more than 64 bits for a
streamed message), or that the message reader and writer are getting
out of sync.

There are 3 occurrences of the "Insane" message in the source (in
net/remoteconnection.cc) - I'd suggest patching to distinguish them
(e.g. add "(a)", "(b)", "(c)" to each) and see which one it is.