[Xapian-discuss] GPL as the main reason why Xapian might not get the widespread success it deserves?

Charlie Hull charlie at juggler.net
Mon Sep 10 08:49:43 BST 2012

On 07/09/2012 22:18, Michael Hasselmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I realise that the GPL license question has been discussed in 2003 and
> in 2007, extensively. Back then, the conclusion seem to have been that
> in-process usage is not possible for most use-cases and that instead, a
> network layer/IPC mechanism is required to use Xapian with any non-GPL
> software.
>
> I think the project is severely undermining its own potential success. I
> see that there are even consulting services available, but which
> commercially-orientated project is supposed to ever use Xapian?

Plenty of people are using Xapian commercially (the Newspaper Licensing
Agency, Gorkana and the Financial Times to name just three of our
customers at Flax), but I think you're referring to projects that would
like to embed Xapian in something else and then distribute this.

The 'project' isn't undermining anything.

> Has there ever been a motion to finally relicense Xapian to LGPL to make
> it easier to adapt in commercial solutions? Or did I just miss something
> really obvious?

As has been said before, either we have to wait until the natural
development of the code replaces the bits that can't be relicensed, or
someone will have to stump up funds to pay for this to be done (not an
insignificant task). There have been some offers but AFAIK nothing concrete.

Charlie