[Xapian-discuss] Newbie questions about omega

Julien Pfefferkorn julien.pfefferkorn at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 3 14:16:50 BST 2013

Dear all,

I am a newbie to Xapian-Omega.

I installed Xapian-Omega (1.2.14) a few days ago on my freebsd NAS server,
and intend to use it to search my CIFS/SMB share.

So far it works fine (I am able to search my share using the omega web
interface), nevertheless I have few newbie questions.

Hoping that somebody can answer my (hopefully not to silly) newbie
questions.

Indexing file names:

I noticed that Omega indexes file names. The file name seems to indexed as
several words if the name contains space characters.

In my share I often separate words in the file name using "-" or "_" or even
using a capital letter at the beginning of each word (I guess this is also
the case for many other users):

Examples:

this-is-a-file.txt

this_is_a_file.txt

thisIsAFile.txt

In those cases, a noticed that omega does not index the individual words,
but only the full basename as one single word.

It would be helpful, if omega would index each respective word, to ease the
search.

Is it planned to add that feature in omega? Should I write a feature request
in trac?

Indexing of file names even if the file cannot be indexed:

It seems that omega does not index the file name if the MIME type cannot be
indexed.

In order to be able to search all files by their name, it would be helpful,
if omega would index the file name in that case.

Is it planned to add this feature in omega? Should I write a feature request
in trac?

Indexing folder names:

It seems that omega does not currently index folder names

In order to be able to search for folder by its name, it would be helpful,
if omega would index it.

Is it planned to add this feature in omega? Should I write a feature request
in trac?

Thank you for your help!

Julien