[Xapian-discuss] Newbie questions about omega

Julien Pfefferkorn julien.pfefferkorn at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 15 09:29:40 BST 2013

Hi Olly,

Thank you for your detailed answer.

I think that there was a misunderstanding with my last question (I probably
wasn't clear enough with my formulation)

I did not propose to index the folder names for every file (which indeed
would probably lead to very noisy results).
I was rather thinking about making the folder itself searchable, so that if
a user would search for words included in a folder name, omega would display
this folder (not the files contained in the folder) in the result list.
(i.e. the url to the folder itself would be in the results list)

I understand that not every user of omega would like to index folders (e.g.
if omega is used to index the pages of a website, it is probably not a good
idea to provide folders in the result list), but for users using omega to
index NAS shares, it makes sense.
Therefore, providing a specific command line switch in omindex to activate
this feature would probably be required.

Regards,

Julien

> > It seems that omega does not currently index folder names
> >
> > In order to be able to search for folder by its name, it would be
> > helpful, if omega would index it.
> >
> > Is it planned to add this feature in omega? Should I write a feature
> > request in trac?
>
> Only indexing the leafname was a deliberate choice - the thinking was that
indexing the folder name for every file would make searches including a word