[Xapian-discuss] SELinux and search permissions

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Nov 26 06:14:07 GMT 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 05:38:57PM +0000, Marc Fromm wrote:
> I am running xapian and omega  on a Centos 6.4 SELinux enabled box.
>
> When I do a search I get the following message:
> Exception: Couldn't read format template `query' (Permission denied)
>
> If I disable SELinux the search executes correctly.
> I have enabled the httpd_enable_cgi boolean but that still does not
> allow the permissions needed.
>
> What else do I need to configure in SELinux for xapian and omega to work?

The omega CGI program needs to be able to read its template files,
which are probably being read from this directory:

/var/lib/omega/templates

If you run it under strace you can see the filenames it tries to open.

I don't know enough about SELinux to say exactly how you'd configure
that to be allowed though.  If you work out the required runes, please
add them to the wiki, or report back here.