[Xapian-discuss] Question about embedding Xapian index in one file

Emmanuel Engelhart kelson at kiwix.org
Wed Nov 27 20:59:29 GMT 2013

Le 27/11/2013 21:49, Wilm Schumacher a écrit :
> !!!Warning: Xapian-Newbie writing
>
> 1.) a possible solution: I would not do this by xapian, but by the
> operating system. You could create a "moutable file", and mount it to a
> directory of your choice and let Xapian read and write in this
> directory. All changes would happen in this one file.

This is not really on option for us, our software supports a lot of
different OSes, and I don't really want to start to add such type of
complexity.

> 2.) just for clarification: why would you want such thing? What is the
> advantage of this plan?

We provide read-only archives of content in a dedicated file and we use
Xapian only to provide full-text search. Not having everything in one
file makes the life of our users (and ours) unnecessary complicated.

Emmanuel
--
Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline & more
* Web: http://www.kiwix.org