[Xapian-discuss] getting involved

Előd Biszak biszakelod at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 14:30:52 GMT 2014

Hi,

I am a young developer from Hungary. I have been using Xapian for quite a
while, I am quite familiar with the basic concepts. I have tested various
search engines in the past few years and for now Xapian seems the be the
best choice for my purposes. I am willing to get deeply involved in the
project.

For getting started my main concerns are:

1. Where to get the current developer repository
2. What version control should I use to be able to pull it from your server
3. How to share my code?

I am interested in the following tasks:

1. I want to make the support of non-term sub-queries for positional
queries. For positional sub-queries I think it would make sense. ( e.g:
"Thomas Jefferson" NEAR "King George" )
2. Possible improvement in positional queries. In the docs it sais that
"Queries which use positional information can be significantly slower to
process [...] This will be improved in the future". Is there any thoughts
on how to improve them?
3. Adding the support of efficient ranking based on positional information.

What do you guys think, are these possible improvements? I have the time
and the motivation.

best regards,
Biszak Előd