[Xapian-discuss] Contributing to the project-REG.

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Nov 10 05:05:57 GMT 2014

On Tue, Nov 04, 2014 at 01:32:00PM +0530, Subham Soni wrote:
> Basically my thought is any search engine must provide results related to
> the user and his context and limit the results and not flood with many.
>
> For example if I want to know how to program a linked list in c then the
> best resources must be provided like from coursera and tutorialspoint etc.
> And a few more.  But not a lacs of results for the same because it is going
> to consume the processing time and secondly the user won't have time to
> visit all links.
>
> I have many suggestions like this.

Suggestions in isolation like these aren't so useful - you really need a
plan for how you're going to achieve them.  You're certainly not the
first person to think that it would be good to return a smaller number
of results which are those most relevant to the person searching - the
hard part is following through - come up with a feasible way to achieve
that goal, and then implement it.

> Can I join this project and start contributing?
> I am good at core java and basic python.

Sure.  The first thing to do is check out the Xapian code from git and
get it to build.

Then find yourself a small task to get familiar with the code - fix a
bug, or take a look at the list of "bite-size" projects on the wiki:

http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/ProjectIdeas