[Xapian-discuss] GSoC Reunion + Documentation Sprint

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Thu Oct 23 21:58:49 BST 2014

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014, at 03:16 PM, Olly Betts wrote:
> Gaurav, James and I are attending the GSoC reunion in San Jose,
> California, USA this weekend, so if anyone else is around, do come and
> say hello.
>
> We're also going to be holding a documentation sprint on Monday and
> Tuesday next week in San Francisco.  If anyone else wants to take
> part (remotely would work) let me know.  The only plan we have so far
> is to come up with a plan over the weekend.

Since I'm in town for once in forever, I'd love to meet up just to say hello - and also to see if we can get the FastMail patches for snippet support either into Xapian or an alternative implementation that does what's needed.  Neil and I from FastMail are around for the Inbox Love conference on Wednesday.

I've just been in Pittsburgh (sitting in the airport on my way out now) working on the Cyrus IMAPd 2.5 release, and the major thing blocking us adding full text search based on Xapian was that it requires a patched/forked version of the library, and we don't want to force that on people - so we've punted the whole feature down the road.

Xapian works fantastically for FastMail, but we can't really expect everyone to run patched versions with no upgrade path - so I'd like to figure out a path to getting back onto mainline.

Unfortunately Greg, who wrote the patches, isn't working at FastMail any more - so I'm stuck maintaining it myself!

Cheers,

Bron.

--
  Bron Gondwana