PHP bindings on Ubuntu 15.10

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Dec 22 02:39:05 GMT 2015

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 12:24:16PM -0500, Yannick Warnier wrote:
> Did anyone try building the PHP bindings on Ubuntu 15.10 using the
> instructions on
> http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/FAQ/PHP%20Bindings%20Package recently?

They're reasonably up to date.

I've just tried rebuilding on Debian unstable, and the instructions work
once I workaround the same "duplicate X-Dummy" issue you added a note
about (I've added a command to automate that to the recipe, and I'll
sort it out so newer packages don't result in that duplicate header).

> I get a few errors. Before I get deeper into it, I wanted to know if
> the documentation was up to date.
> http://pastebin.com/BHTb6MkH

Looks like the issue is here right at the start:

    pyversions: error parsing Python-Version attribute

That's probably the root cause of the errors at the end - if you did
this part:

    echo php > debian/bindings-to-package

then you should only get PHP bindings built and packaged, and pyversions
shouldn't even get run.

Not sure why it's going wrong.  Ubuntu seem to have patched the
packaging, but I don't see anything obviously problematic with those
changes.

You might be able to work around it with:

debuild -e PHP_VERSIONS=5 -e PYTHON_VERSIONS= -us -uc

But if you can figure out why it's trying to run pyversions, that would
be great.