[Xapian-discuss] Project Idea

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sun Jan 18 16:30:07 GMT 2015

On 16 Jan 2015, at 09:48, Heemanshu Bhalla <bhallaheemanshu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello xapian , I am a web developer and i want to contribute to xapian . I
> have seen website of xapian and think there are number of things that are
> missing there the xapian.org website is missing some simple,nice and decent
> features
>
> * It may include first of all a simple,nice navigation bar at top for
> everything that is provided in the site

We have a navigation bar at the side; we’ve had a couple of attempts in the past at getting a new site designed and implemented, but things have always got mired in one place or another. If you wanted to take that on, it’d be good to start by gathering what we think requirements of the new website should be (how it needs to be built and managed, what content is needed, device support, the whole lot).

> * It also missing lot of documentation for xapian for setting up and
> dealing with it

We have a place on our wiki for listing documentation that needs writing: <http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/MissingDocumentation>, so it’d be great if you could add things to that as they occur to you.

We’re also keen to close those gaps; first off we want to deal with the missing or incomplete documentation in the manual <https://getting-started-with-xapian.readthedocs.org/en/latest/> (source is at <https://github.com/jaylett/xapian-docsprint>, and searching for “todo” will throw up a number of places where work is needed: <https://github.com/jaylett/xapian-docsprint/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=todo>), and later there’s the missing documentation as noted above.

 James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
 xapian.org