[Xapian-discuss] REPLY: make check xapian-bindings-1.2.21 & Search-Xapian-1.2.21.0

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Jul 6 13:08:39 BST 2015

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 01:33:09AM -0700, Eric Lindblad wrote:
> I think the tests for the perl module Search-Xapian-1.2.21.0 might be
> fewer in number than the perl tests included with
> xapian-bindings-1.2.21. If some of the tests have similar but modified
> content I do not know. I am not so skilled as to interpret the
> compared test results.

The tests certainly aren't identical between the two - there are slight
differences in the wrapped API, and the testcases have to reflect that.

Are you saying you were trying to run the tests for on against the
other?  If so, I'd expect that to fail.

> If you want to suggest a paired earlier version of Xapian to a
> specific xapian.bindings version,
> I might run those bindings' perl tests on the Slackware-14.0, if I
> have the time.

I'd recommend using the same version of xapian-core as Search::Xapian
(or xapian-bindings).  Other combinations will often work, but in cases
where a new API has been added you'll need a newer xapian-core for
newer xapian-bindings or Search::Xapian.  Mixed combinations are also
simply less widely tested.

> your quote:
> Looks like you were using Perl 5.16.1 - what's the architecture?
>
> I'm traveling and have a little Samsung NC-10 Netbook (2009 circa)
> its 32bit.

OK, so x86 presumably.