[Xapian-discuss] About Xapian vs ElasticSearch

Michael Lewis mal at icginc.com
Wed Jun 24 00:09:56 BST 2015

I've done a number of small projects (<1 mil) docs w xapian. However when our needs grew to a couple of hundred million docs no go. Index times  get insanely slow very quickly We add about 250,000 docs a day. You can play games with switching indexes during updates and multiple remote dDBs. But why. Using ES we index 1000 new docs in 4 seconds. Our search times are subsecond in most non-phrase searches.

ES Is easy to set up and maintain and expands easily. It is easily expanded and our go to choice for large projects.

We still use xapian and are happy with it in more static situations. One thing about xapian -- the support by Olly and others is superb.

Michael