[Xapian-discuss] Make Xapian accept all characters

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed May 6 02:12:40 BST 2015

On Mon, May 04, 2015 at 01:31:09PM +0000, Lautaro M wrote:
> Ok, but suppose I have a complex query, something like "(a OR b) AND
> NOT c OR ##". Do I have to parse the query by myself?

Currently you do I'm afraid.

On Tue, May 05, 2015 at 03:09:08PM +0000, Lautaro M wrote:
> I tried to do what you told me:
>
> $xp = new XapianQuery("##");
> log($xp->serialise());
>
> But I get "R##"

The result of serialise() should be treated as opaque - all you can
usefully do with it is store it and pass it to unserialise() to get
another Query object equivalent to the one you started with.

To get a user-readable string describing an object, use
get_description():

    log($xp->get_description());