1.4 release series

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Nov 5 19:43:22 GMT 2015

On Nov 05, 2015, at 12:57 AM, Olly Betts wrote:

>Hmm, I'm not wild about the package descriptions:

I've uploaded a change that clarifies the nature of these packages.  I've also
commented out the XSBC-Original-Maintainer field (a standard when Ubuntu
deltas Debian packages).

>I'm not clear why the Python 2 bindings from 1.3 have been packaged as
>well as the Python 3 bindings

Porting Python 2 versions of applications dependent on Xapian 1.2 can be a
two-step process: first, keep Python 2, but port to Xapian 1.3 to make sure
that there aren't any API gotchas with the new version of Xapian.  Then port
the entire application to Python 3.

>We should have a new development snapshot in that timeframe, but at the
>current rate of progress I can't realistically see 1.4.0 being out that
>soon.

Okay.  I think we'll have to plan to carry a fork of Xapian and
apt-xapian-index in Ubuntu then.  I'll try to make sure the a-x-i package
still passes its test suite with Xapian 1.2 and Python 2, so that Debian can
adopt those patches with little other changes.  Then in Ubuntu we can flip it
to Xapian 1.3 and Python 3.5 and hopefully carry a much smaller delta.

Cheers,
-Barry