1.4 release series

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Oct 26 22:05:58 GMT 2015

The wiki roadmap page (http://trac.xapian.org/wiki/RoadMap) suggests
we aim to start a new stable release series every one to two years.
However, we're not doing a good job of implementing that - in fact we're
just about to hit 5.5 years since 1.2.0 was released.

And that's really much too long - we've built up a pile of nice new
features which it's hard for most people to use.

There are still rather a lot of tickets marked for consideration for
this development series - currently 23 earmarked for 1.3.4, 7 for 1.3.4
and 38 for 1.3.x (though 1.3.x is more "suitable for doing in 1.3.x"
than "we want to do for 1.3.x").

I think we need to acknowledge that these aren't going to all get done,
and we're much better off keeping a sensible interval between new
release series - features can then make the next series after they're
actually implemented.  If we'd released 1.4.0 in 2012 (or even 2013), we
could have released or be close to releasing 1.6.0 now, and half the new
stuff currently sitting in 1.3.x could have been in general use for 2-3
years already.

I'm going to make a start soon on going through the tickets and
adjusting milestones.  Such decisions aren't necessarily final, but
if there's a ticket you feel is a "must get done for 1.4", then
providing a quality patch is the realistic way to make that happen.
Just saying "+1" isn't going to help.