xapian-core-1.2.21 ported to Interix / 'gmake check' compile error

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Sep 14 01:50:23 BST 2015

On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 05:20:01PM -0700, Eric Lindblad wrote:
> I ported xapian-core-1.2.21 to Interix today having disabled the
> default chert and development brass backends, using flint, which
> was the 1.0.x series' default, which ships with the 1.2.x series;
> the disabling do to an unresolved 'ambiguous overload' error
> encountered when compiling those backends.

You probably realise this, but 1.2.x with just flint support is of
somewhat limited use.  It sounds like you've reached a milestone though.

> Running 'gmake check' however I right away encountered an error:
> ../../tests/api_backend.cc: In function `bool test_phrasebug1()':
> ../../tests/api_backend.cc:951: error: `q' undeclared (first use this function)
> ../../tests/api_backend.cc:951: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported
> only once for each function it appears in.)

Does changing "q.OP_PHRASE" to "Xapian::Query::OP_PHRASE" help?

> 'htons' needed to be defined, which on Interix is in /usr/include/arpa/inet.h
> and /net/tcpclient.cc was modified as adding #include <arpa/inet.h>

We should be including that header for all Unix platforms.  I guess most
include it implicitly from another header so mostly we get away without
it.  Committed this fix to the 1.2 branch.  In git master this code has
been replaced with getaddrinfo(), so the patch isn't needed there.

> or, perhaps xapian support for minority platforms should not be incorporated.

I can't feasibly fix issues with platforms I don't have access to, but
I'm happy to apply clean patches for portability to any platform.