swig-3.0.7 for xapian-bindings to tcl

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sun Dec 4 21:31:30 GMT 2016

On Sun, Dec 04, 2016 at 12:16:03PM +0000, Eric Lindblad wrote:
> In the last section of my post swig is mentioned, and my questions are 1) whether crypt is
> significant to allocate for, the "Git for Windows" shipped libcrypt 1.3-1 being compiled
> for the msys environment - obviously one would need to add the dev package - for swig to
> be compiled for use by xapian-bindings

Not sure what you're asking here - searching for "crypt" in your blog post only
finds one mention.  But I don't believe swig needs any crypto functionality.

> and 2) the subject about gethostbyname and socket
> found in the below output seems to warrant some clarification pertaining to the MSYS2 and/or
> MinGW environments, and a swig compiled for use by xapian-bindings?
>
> The dlopen issue I believe is POSIX and therefore not relevant to a mingw-w64-i686
> (or mingw-w64-x86_64) environment; and furthermore -lieee returns 'yes' on GNU/Linux.

I wouldn't worry about things a configure script does or doesn't find in its
checks.  The whole point of these checks is that not all platforms have the
features being probed for - if they were reliably present, there would be
no point in probing for them.  Only worry about them if you get an error
building the software.

> Eric at Erics-Netbook MINGW32 ~
> $ cd /c/WORK/swig-3.0.7

You shouldn't be downloading and building some arbitrary version of SWIG
to use to build Xapian's bindings.

If you build from a xapian-bindings tarball, then you already have the
files SWIG would generate.

If you are building from git, use the "bootstrap" script at the top level,
then run the top level configure script which it generates and run "make"
at the top level.  The "bootstrap" script will perform a git clone of the
SWIG git repo and select a point in the history which is "known good" for
building all of Xapian's bindings.