Need info on chert and flint

Eric Lindblad GeirfuglApS at yahoo.com
Tue May 31 15:06:10 BST 2016

Smriti Atrey <smrti.atrey <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to xapian and read somewhere that xapain was using flint before
> released version 1.1 now it is using chert.
>
> I am looking for differences between both flint vs chert  respective to
> xapian and advantages of chert.
>
> thanks
> Smriti

there is a 'backends' section in the docs

cf: https://xapian.org/docs/code_structure.html

one distinction was that beginning with the 1.1.x series the compiling of
the remote backend appears to have been a requirement for the default backend

perhaps not central to your inquiry, but I don't think for the 1.0.x and
1.1.x series that libuuid was a yet requirement, it appears to have been
initially added as a requirement for 1.2.x series