omega issues/notes

John Bankert jbankert at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 21:32:33 BST 2016

All,

I've run into a couple of things using omega/omindex under cygwin. I don't
think I'd attribute them to xapian, omega or omindex, but wanted to get
them out to the list so that if anyone else should run into these things
down the road, hopefully someone will remember and be able to help.

1) after compiling and building omega, and doing make install, I get a set
violation when trying to run omindex from it's installed location under
cygwin. I worked around this by copying various required windows dll files
into the same directory as omindex.exe and presto, success.
2) There appears to be some sort of weird path issue in using omindex in
the cywin bash shell. using the path /www/example/product, should in cygwin
bash, act as a fully defined path the directory to be indexed by omindex.
This is not the case. I had to product a relative path from where
omindex.exe was running in order to successfully index the files in
/www/example/product.

This next bit is me wondering about the output I've gotten.

John at win-7-test ~/xapian-omega-1.4.0
$ ls -al ../../../www/example/msproducts/
total 357
drwx------+ 1 John None      0 Sep 27 16:25 .
drwx------+ 1 John None      0 Sep 27 15:41 ..
-rwx------+ 1 John None  32476 Sep 14 15:18 100-objects-v1.csv
-rwx------+ 1 John None  32477 Sep 14 15:19 100-objects-v2.csv
-rwx------+ 1 John None  14228 Aug 31 11:41 burger.docx
-rwx------+ 1 John None  19034 Jun 30 12:15 hotdog.docx
-rwx------+ 1 John None  10538 Sep 14 15:30 index.html
-rwx------+ 1 John None 137728 Jun 30 12:15 sausage.doc
-rwx------+ 1 John None  71536 Sep 14 15:21 states.csv
-rwx------+ 1 John None    541 Sep 14 15:21 us_states_on_wikipedia.html
-rwx------+ 1 John None  29824 Aug 31 15:08 zlib_how.html

John at win-7-test ~/xapian-omega-1.4.0
$ ./omindex -v --db omtest.db --url msproducts
../../../www/example/msproducts/

John at win-7-test ~/xapian-omega-1.4.0
$ [Entering directory ""]
Indexing "100-objects-v1.csv" as text/csv ... added
Indexing "100-objects-v2.csv" as text/csv ... added
Indexing "burger.docx" as
application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordproc
essingml.document ... The system cannot find the path specified.
Skipping - "unzip -p "..\..\..\www\example\msproducts\burger.docx"
word/document
.xml 'word/header*.xml' 'word/footer*.xml' 2>/dev/null" failed
Indexing "hotdog.docx" as
application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordproc
essingml.document ... The system cannot find the path specified.
Skipping - "unzip -p "..\..\..\www\example\msproducts\hotdog.docx"
word/document
.xml 'word/header*.xml' 'word/footer*.xml' 2>/dev/null" failed
Indexing "index.html" as text/html ... added

omindex stops when it hits sausage.doc, and echo $? returns 0, so I've no
idea why it doesn't want to process an ms word .doc file, although I
suspect it may be related to the inability to process the .docx files. I
should note that I performing this work on a windows VM that does not have
MS office or open office installed, if that makes a difference.

Again, thanks to all who have been offering help

John