Xapian Benchmark results

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Dec 3 04:50:18 GMT 2018

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 02:28:19PM -0600, Krishna Bharadwaj wrote:
> I am currently trying to benchmark a multithreaded xapian implementation on
> a chameleon baremetal instance written in C++. My workload is a 3 Gig
> wikipedia xml dump consisting of ~286 file of different sizes. My results
> are showing me that indexing on xapian is an order of magnitude faster than
> my lucene and lucene plusplus implementations. This is a result that I did
> not expect. Just want to confirm with you guys if my
> implementation(attached below) is correct. I notice that I am getting the
> search results correctly but I am just not able to get over the fact that
> xapian is performing so much faster than my other implementations. There
> have been no optimizations in my code. Awaiting your response.

The indexer code looks plausible to me.

You can poke at the built databases with xapian-delve to check what
terms index a given document, etc.

>        Xapian::Document doc;
> 		doc.set_data(line_string);

You typically wouldn't just store the entire document in the Xapian
document's data, though that might make sense for some applications.
But storing less there would only make things faster.