It was twenty years ago today...

Yannick Warnier ywarnier at beeznest.net
Mon Oct 28 22:29:13 GMT 2019

Happy 20 Xapian!

My adventures integrating fuzzy searches in learning management systems
started with MnoGoSearch around 2005 (I'm not sure it still exists),
then I quickly moved to Xapian (I don't remember how or why exactly I
did the switch, though).

Despite other search engines being more attractive for specific items,
I find the true advantage of Xapian for me is not to be relying on
Java, so it can actually safely be run in the background of a PHP web
application without introducing horrible dependencies (and thus can
also do the job without excessive resources).

In particular, Olly, you've been an incredibly consistant project
leader and contributor and have always had the right answer for anyone.
Thank you very much.

If I ever visit Cambridge (not sure you're still there), I'll try to
remember and bring you some of our lovely Belgian beers :-)

Cheers,

Yannick