performance problems with notmuch new

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Sat Apr 25 00:13:30 BST 2020

Franz Fellner <alpine.art.de at gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu Apr 23 00:21:30 2020, Olly Betts <olly at survex.com> wrote:

>> Then I'd try compacting the database (I think there's a "notmuch
>> compact" subcommand to do this).

> And there we go. Cured the issues.  Dropped the very first indexing
> from several minutes to 1.5 seconds on the desktop.  ?!?!  This is a
> really new setup and I suffered from bad performance from the very
> first notmuch new after the initial indexing.  Is it really needed to
> run notmch compact directly after the initial notmuch new?  Desktop
> currently has 38502 messages indexed, in case that matters.

That's a fairly small number of messages by the usual notmuch
standards. It's possible there is something pathological about the
interaction of notmuch and your particular set of mail. Running the
performance test suite on your machine would be one way of
telling. Also, the size of your notmuch database on disk; really huge
databases are a sign that something is going wrong. I think most people
find the database is 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the mail it is indexing, but
we have had some odd cases where the database is 2 or 3 times the mail,
and that was an indexing bug.