MultiDatabase shard count limitations

Eric Wong e at 80x24.org
Mon Aug 24 06:58:02 BST 2020

Olly Betts <olly at survex.com> wrote:
> The report you show seems to be just the time take by each function
> directly rather than including functions it calls.  It looks like a lot
> of the time is spent in cursor movement, as totalling up things that
> seem like they'd be due to that I quickly get to 40+% but it's hard
> to tell if that's about the actual total or if this is really where
> almost all time is spent.  If it were 50% then getting rid of it all
> would only halve the time which would be a nice speedup, but still
> too slow for your case (and some cursor movement is required as that's
> how we skip ahead in posting lists).

Understood.

> Can prof report time for a function including things it calls?

callgraph?  Attached is a profile the output of "perf report -g"
with callgraph info.  I'm no perf expert, either, but slowly
learning more as I go along...

Btw, I tried google-pprof (from the Debian stable
google-perftools 2.7-1 package) and couldn't figure it out...
Even the example from the manpage: `google-pprof /bin/ls ls.prof`
didn't seem to work.  It tried to open an invalid URL with
curl 'http://ls.prof/pprof/profile?seconds=30' ... *shrug*