Xapian on Android?

Emmanuel Engelhart kelson at kiwix.org
Mon Aug 31 14:21:58 BST 2020

Hi Olly

On 30.08.20 22:57, Olly Betts wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 03:55:07PM +0000, Cliff Missen wrote:
>> We can create the index on more powerful machines with any OS in our
>> development lab, but need to provide the end users with tools to
>> search that index on their devices.
>
> Not specific to Android, but for this sort of use case you may find the
> "single-file database" feature useful (the feature was sponsored by
> https://endlessos.com/ who use it to allow shipping a single file
> containing both data and a pre-built Xapian index of it).  The
> single-file database is generated by compacting a database, and can't be
> updated directly:
>
> https://xapian.org/docs/apidoc/html/namespaceXapian.html#af230d8321f07e93dc62d57a6fcfe89fa
>
> It can be embedded inside another file (you
> can open it by providing a file descriptor positioned at the start of
> the embedded single file database):
>
> https://xapian.org/docs/apidoc/html/classXapian_1_1Database.html#aa882e42d12defaf578e68ac9a4fe36f0

Both of these features which have been created have allowed to embed
Xapian indexes in ZIM files. Therefore super useful for Kiwix.

And now Endless uses ZIM and the Zimfarm to build content for the
EndlessOS (apps)... soo the circle comes back around :)

> Also, if you don't use any features which need the termlist table at
> search time (the main one is being able to list matching terms) then you
> could delete termlist.glass from the database directory before
> compacting to a single file database to save space.
>
> See Xapian::DB_NO_TERMLIST for details:
>
> https://xapian.org/docs/apidoc/html/namespaceXapian.html#abeb301c332a66efdb695447666c53726

Nice, I should have a look in detail to that.

Regards
Emmanuel

--
Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline & more