getting familiar with Xapian

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Mar 3 23:16:39 GMT 2020

Hi Divyesh,

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 03:58:54PM +0530, Divyesh Prajapati wrote:
>         I am Divyesh, from Nirma University. I am currently in my 3rd year
> of computer Engineering and I am c++ competitive coder. I want to apply my
> problem-solving skills on real-world projects so I choose Xapian. I am
> interested in improving match-making algorithm at Xapian.  can anyone help
> me about how I will be able to propose my ideas in Xapian.

I'm not sure if you're talking here about optimising the code which
performs the matching (which is an idea listed on our project ideas
list), or about implementing a new ranking algorithm (also on our ideas
list), or something else you've thought up yourself.

We're certainly happy to consider proposals which aren't based on ideas
from our list (or which take an idea from our list in a different
direction) but I'd strongly encourage anyone intending to do this to
discuss with us first.  We've had successful "off-list" projects in the
past, but we also get quite a lot of "off-list" proposals which aren't
really feasible in the context of Xapian for various reasons.

Anyway, the best place to start is with this GSoC Guide we've put
together to help students wanting to apply to us:

https://trac.xapian.org/wiki/GSoC%20Guide