IPv6 Support

Sam Pearson sam at mysociety.org
Wed Apr 13 08:58:10 BST 2022

Hi Olly,

> Yes, there is IPv6 support in git master.
>
> I had a look and the changes are fairly self-contained so it should
> be feasible to backport (there are several later tweaks that would need
> to be gathered up though).
>
> However if we did backport this then upgrading a system which currently
> works could potentially break in some scenarios (when there are IPv6
> addresses but replication or remote TCP backend connections will fail
> with them - e.g. due to firewall rules having only been added for the
> IPv4 addresses).  That seems more acceptable in a new release series
> than a point release late on in the life of a stable branch, but I
> have little idea how common such problems would be in practice.

<snip>

> I'm hoping we can get a new stable release series out later this year.

Tha't great, and you're right of course the merging a potentially
breaking change into 1.4.x isn't ideal.

> If the reverse proxy trick doesn't work out, building a custom Debian
> package isn't hard to do.  I think for that you'd only need the original
> commit for that as the later changes seem to be for WIN32 or android.

The reverse proxy is working fine at the moment and was quick to
set-up so we'll continue with that for the time being.

It's likely that we'll build some packages as the 1.5 release gets a
bit nearer and test those in our staging environment, so I'll feed
back anything we uncover at that point.

Thanks for the update,
Cheers,
Sam