[Xapian-devel] Re: [Xapian-commits] Changes in www.xapian.org/ www.xapian.org/.scripts/

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Dec 8 19:14:48 GMT 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 07:24:30PM +0100, Arjen van der Meijden wrote:
> Perhaps you could announce such updates a bit more out in the open. For
> instance send a message to the discuss-list and/or put piece of
> information about the last version on the index of xapian.org.

I was already writing an announcement mail, but I need to update the
site before sending the mail, and I took a break to watch the simpsons!
Anyway, it's the announcement is now finished and sent.  There's also an
announcement awaiting approval at freshmeat.net.

I've been thinking about adding some sort of "latest xapian-related news"
to the front page, but it probably needs to be more than just release
announcements, or it'll look a bit thin.

I'd wondered about some sort of "Xapian blog" with the front page
providing a summary of the most recent few entries.  Gmane now offers a
blog interface to mailing lists, so this could actually be a
xapian-announce mailing list underneath, which would allow you to read
it by email or nntp if you prefer, and a moderated mailing list would
neatly allow multiple contributers.

But I know little about blogs, so perhaps that's not the best way to
go about it at all...