[Xapian-devel] Re: [Xapian-commits] Changes in www.xapian.org/ www.xapian.org/.scripts/

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Thu Dec 9 09:26:29 GMT 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 07:14:48PM +0000, Olly Betts wrote:

> I'd wondered about some sort of "Xapian blog" with the front page
> providing a summary of the most recent few entries.  Gmane now offers a
> blog interface to mailing lists, so this could actually be a
> xapian-announce mailing list underneath, which would allow you to read
> it by email or nntp if you prefer, and a moderated mailing list would
> neatly allow multiple contributers.
>
> But I know little about blogs, so perhaps that's not the best way to
> go about it at all...

If we had a xapian-announce list, and Gmane converted that into an RSS
or Atom feed, it would be reasonably easy to pull that back into the
front page of xapian.org. That's probably my preferred way of doing
it, to be honest. Explicit blogs for development teams are a nice
idea, but unless you've got lots of people part of the team they tend
to get thin on the ground (look at the IE Blog, which is great when
things happen - and they have a pretty large team).

Assuming Gmane supports gzip and conditional fetching (which it
should), a robust implementation shouldn't be too hard.