Xapian::QueryParser (was Re: [Xapian-devel] Re: [Xapian-commits] Changes in xapian/xapian-applications/queryserver/ xapian/xapian-applications/queryserver/source/)

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu May 13 18:21:37 BST 2004

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 06:13:35PM +0100, Alex Bowley wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 06:30PM, Olly Betts wrote:
> > That's probably a feature worth pushing down into Xapian::QueryParser...
>
> What is ::QueryParser? The name would suggest it takes strings (say of
> the form 'hotel AND (beach OR "swimming pool")' and converts them into
> ::Query objects. Is this correct

Exactly.

> (I can't see any reference to the class in the API docs)?

It doesn't seem to be being picked up by doxygen correctly (I'll
investigate).  It's in the "internal" documentation though:

http://www.xapian.org/docs/sourcedoc/html/classXapian_1_1QueryParser.html

And the query syntax is documented here:

http://www.xapian.org/docs/queryparser.html

> I'm doing a fair amount of hacking on the Perl bindings atm, and it
> occurs to me that this would be a useful feature, even if I have to do
> it in the perl wrapper.

It would be nice to have it wrapped too.  Having it in a separate directory
is rather an arbitrary historical thing.

> IIrc, the python bindings do something similar - do they just use
> ::QueryParser under the hood?

I'd imagine so.