[Xapian-devel] Debian stuff

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu May 20 14:26:54 BST 2004

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 02:05:47PM +0100, James Aylett wrote:
> If Debian want to adopt it as an official package they will almost
> certainly want to work from release tarballs, not from CVS, given the
> way they work for security backports.

That's not really an argument for including the debian packaging stuff
in the tarballs though.  The vast majority of sources packaged by debian
are release tarballs which don't contain a debian subdirectory.  Often
there will be several different versions of the packaging for a given
upstream release tarball.

Anyway, I think including it makes sense at present as it allows the
user to download the source tarball and build debian packages from it
which they can then install.  If/when it's adopted by debian, then
that will no longer be relevant, and we can easily remove the debian
packaging from the upstream source if the debian maintainer so wishes.