[Xapian-devel] Last modification time

R. Mattes rm at seid-online.de
Mon Aug 15 23:53:24 BST 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 18:42 +0100, Olly Betts wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 03:26:00PM +0200, R. Mattes wrote:
> > is there any way to retrieve the last modification time from
> > a Xapian::Database object?
>
> Not via the API.  For disk based databases, it's the latest
modification
> time of any "base" file in the database directory.  That's true for
> quartz and flint (though it may change for flint).

Ok, i got that far.

> Would an API method be useful (and if so, what for)?

Mostly 'Last modified' headers in response to a HTTP-HEAD request i
assume. We use Xapian for a (mostly) weekly updated newspaper and might
soon create RDF/RSS feeds based on queries. Some of those pulling
clients might be satisfied with a HEAD request ...

But it's not too urgent, i either do the stat thing or subclass Database
to implement a last_modified method.

 Cheers, RalfD