[Xapian-devel] error building xapian

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat Aug 20 17:59:11 BST 2005

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 02:12:47PM -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
> I'm getting the following error when trying to build xapian.  I've
> tried versions 0.9.1 and 0.9.2, same error.  It's a x86 debian box,
> gcc 4.0.1.  It builds fine on my gentoo amd64 box (gcc 3.4.3).

I can't really see how the processor or distro makes a difference, so
I bet it's GCC 4.0.1 being fussier about not accepting C++ code which
doesn't quite follow the standard.  Oddly I've successfully built with
GCC4 pre-release snapshots, but perhaps this was changed not long before
release.

A quick look suggests that InMemoryDatabase isn't being forward declared.

I won't have access to a box with GCC4 on for a couple of weeks, but you
could try adding "class InMemoryDatabase;" at (say) line 123 of
inmemory_database.h.  And similarly for any other classes which cause
similar errors.

If that fixes it, a patch showing the changes required would be most
appreciated.