[Xapian-devel] submitting a xapian entry to the FreeBSD ports collection

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Nov 7 12:42:41 GMT 2005

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 11:58:17AM +0100, Jean-Francois Dockes wrote:
> Would anyone object to my submitting an entry for xapian-core to the
> FreeBSD ports collection ?

Quite the contrary!

Let me know when you have a URL and I'll add it to the download page.

> By the way, it does not seem quite right that xapian-core 0.9 will install
> commands with such generic names as 'copydatabase' or 'simplesearch' to
> /usr/local/bin by default. Either a renaming or a configure option to
> control the installation for the examples directory would be really nice.

I didn't think we were installing the simple* examples (they're not
really useful as tools, only as example code), but it seems we are.  I
think we should just stop installing them.

> Would you accept a patch to allow configure to disable the building and
> installation of the examples directory (ie: --disable-examples) ?

I think delve and quest are useful to install.  Probably copydatabase too,
since it does allow you to combine databases and copy a database to a
different format (e.g. quartz to flint, or muscat 3.6 to quartz).

I've no objection to renaming copydatabase to xapian-copydatabase or
something else less generic.