[Xapian-devel] rpmbuild error with xapian-bindings-0.9.5

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat Apr 15 11:20:59 BST 2006

On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 04:10:12AM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 11:45:16AM +0900, Sungsoo Kim wrote:
> > xapian.pyo is missing in the source package but it is defined
> > in xapian-bindings.spec. After removing the following line from
> > xapian-bindings.spec I could finish rpmbuild without error.
> >
> >     %ghost %{_libdir}/python%{python_ver}/site-packages/xapian.pyo
>
> I believe .pyo files are generated by "python -O" (so wouldn't be in the
> source packages anyway), but we don't run that as part of the build
> process so I'm not sure why we seem to be trying to package it.  I don't
> know what %ghost does either though, so I'll have to leave this for
> Fabrice to answer...

I just looked up %ghost:

    The %ghost directive instructs RPM not to install the specified
    file(s).  They will be owned by that package and removed if they
    exists when the package is removed. This can be useful for things
    like log files and state files.

So it shouldn't cause a build error, unless perhaps your rpmbuild
doesn't know about %ghost.

What exactly was the error message?