[Xapian-devel] PHP Latest

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Fri Apr 21 09:31:43 BST 2006

Olly Betts wrote:

>On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 05:11:14PM +0200, Daniel M?nard wrote:
>

>>BTW, you remember me a problem I had with my wrapper and that I have not
>>investigated : I had to explicitely release the object (php should do it
>>automatically). For example, with a WritableDatabase, the lock file was not
>>removed if I didn't write "$db=null".
>>I will have to test the new wrapper to check that we don't have a similar
>>problem.
>>

>I just tested this with the latest version (8) and I don't get the lock
>file left behind with a quartz database.  However, I don't if I use the
>flat file API either...

Can we do anything to be more sure that all the destructors are being
called?

Olly, I'm still concerned about the case where wrapped objects are
referenced by other wrapped objects (meaning at the c++ xapian level)

I tried to make swig-php be able to call destructors, or not, depending
on whether or not we constructed or merely wrapped objects, I hope I got
this right, but I realise that sometimes even though we created the
object it may get referenced from another object, and I recall that
xapian uses smart reference counting pointers.

Thus, if the wilful destructor stage is working in shutdown, some
objects might get twice destroyed, (and he we see how I've forgotten so
much) unless php-swig's wilful destructor stage only releases a ref
count after all.

Sam